Australian High Commission
New Delhi
India, Bhutan

Studying in Australia

Studying in Australia

If you intend to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500).

Student guardians can apply for the Student Guardian visa (subclass 590).

Family members of existing student visa holders will need to apply for a subclass 500 visa if they do not currently hold a student visa and want to join their family member in Australia.

For further information regarding Student visa requirements, lodging an application online and student visa evidentiary requirements, see:

For region specific information on Subsequent Dependants, see:

Processing Times

For visa and citizenship processing times, see:

What documents to provide

It is recommended that applicants provide complete and comprehensive evidence that supports their application at the time of lodgement. A list of evidentiary requirements will be provided as part of the online application process.

Use the Document Checklist Tool to find out what evidence you may need to submit with your application. Enter your country of passport and education provider to get an accurate Document Checklist.

If the Document Checklist indicates that you need to provide evidence of financial capacity, the country specific information detailed below may assist.

Country Specific Financial Guidance

You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you to pay for your course fees, travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia.

It is useful to provide a summary with your application, outlining the funds that are available to you.  You can complete this template and upload it as an attachment with your application. 

If the Document Checklist Tool shows that you need to provide evidence of financial capacity, you must provide either:

  • evidence of sufficient funds to cover your travel costs and 12 months of living and tuition fees for you and your accompanying family members and school costs for any school aged dependants, or
  • evidence that your spouse or parents are willing to support you and they have an annual income of that meets the requirements, or
  • an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students form for secondary exchange students only, or
  • a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.

More information about the Student visa financial capacity requirements is available at

  • Exchange Rate used to calculate financial capacity for a student visa

Generally, the exchange rate used to determine financial capacity is the rate applicable at the time of application.

However, if there has been a variation of more than 10% in the exchange rate between the time of application and the time of decision, the current exchange (as at 9am that day IMT) would be considered.

In such circumstances, the applicant will be afforded an opportunity to provide any additional evidence required.

  • Financial Records

Types of financial records which are acceptable for the purpose of assessing funds for student visa applications are:

  • Specified Annual Income
  • Loans from financial institutions
  • Monetary deposits held with financial institutions
  • Evidence of Annual Income Option

For the purpose of the annual income option, evidence of income must be provided in the form of government documentation issued by the central government.

For Indian Nationals, the Income Tax Returns (ITR) issued by the Income Tax Department is considered as acceptable evidence for the annual income option.

  • Loans from Financial Institutions

A loan with an acceptable financial institution can be provided as evidence of funds. Evidence that the loan has been disbursed is the best way to satisfy DIBP that the applicant has genuine access to those funds. If the loan is not disbursed, we may have concerns about whether the applicant has genuine access to the funds.

For an education loan from an acceptable financial institution, the evidence could include a sanction/approval letter for the full loan and disbursement of the first year or first semester of tuition fees (as required by the education provider), as well as any funds intended to cover travel to Australia and the first 12 months of living expenses. 

Loan letters from a financial institution should include details of any collateral security used for the approval of the loan.

  • Financial Institutions (FI) for Funds and Loans

The Department of Home Affairs monitors the financial sectors in India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan and accepts financial institutions which meet the regulatory requirements. The Regulations define the term 'financial institution' for the purposes of student visa applications as:

financial institution is a body corporate, that, as part of its normal activities takes money on deposit and makes advances of money;

a) under a regulatory regime:

     i) governed by the central bank (or its equivalent) of the country in which the body corporate operates; and

    ii) that the Minister is satisfied provides effective prudential assurance; and

b) in a way that the Minister is satisfied complies with effective prudential assurance requirements.

Where the Department has evidence that an officer at a financial institution has been complicit in issuing fraudulent documentation, we will provide this information to the central bank or its equivalent.  While the matter is under formal investigation, we will not accept evidence of financial capacity from that financial institution.

For further country specific information follow the link below: