Australian High Commission
New Delhi
India, Bhutan

Visas and Citizenship

Welcome to the website of the Department of Home Affairs at the Australian High Commission in New Delhi. Our office manages many of the visa and citizenship services for citizens of India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan. 


News and updates

News and updates about Australian visas and migration

Latest news: 

15 Feb 2022: All passengers arriving by air into Australia should complete the Digital Passenger Declaration
7 Feb 2022: All fully vaccinated visa holders can travel to Australia without a travel exemption from 21 February 2022
19 Jan 2022: Temporary changes to visa work conditions for Students and Working Holiday Makers
18 Jan 2022: Visa extensions for COVID-19 affected temporary graduate visa holders
15 Dec 2021: New arrangements for fully vaccinated eligible visa holders now applicable from 15 December 2021
30 Nov 2021: Important Announcement ➡️ Media Statement: Pause to further easing of border restrictions

                           See: COVID-19 and the border  for more details

25 Oct 2021: Parents of adult Australian citizens and permanent residents included in ‘immediate family’ travel exempt category from 1 November 2021 
25 Oct 2021: Qantas starts all-new route – Sydney-Darwin-Delhi from 6 December 2021
30 Sep 2021: Mandatory online lodgement for Visitor visa (subclass 600) from 30 September 2021

COVID-19 update

Check for updates to Australia's immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, including additional requirements before travelling to or transiting Australia

Australian visas

You must have a valid Australian visa to travel to and enter Australia


You will need to provide your biometrics if you are applying for a visa that is part of the biometrics program from a country that is part of our biometrics program. Locate the nearest Australian Visa Application Centre to provide your biometrics if you are applying for a visa in Bangladesh, Bhutan or Nepal.

Visa holders

Before you travel to Australia you should check that your visa is valid, that you understand the conditions of your visa, and that all your details are correct 

Check goods you can bring to Australia

When you’re travelling to Australia, there are some items that can’t be brought with you. For others you need to get permission. Check goods you can bring to Australia

Expatriate adoptions

The Australian Government, including the Department of Home Affairs and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), has no role in the overseas expatriate adoption process

Frequently asked questions

Read our frequently asked questions

Visa and migration scams

Visa and migration scams you should be aware of

Contact us

Contact us