Indian audiences are in for a laugh riot as Australia's largest comedy festival, the Melbourne International Comedy Festival (MICF), is in India for a five-city tour. Four Australian comedians - the relatable and hilarious Mel Buttle, the ideal Aussie comedian Daniel Connell, a stand-up comedian with a surreal take on the everyday Guy Montgomery, and an observational and often-absurd comedian Aaron Chen - are headed to Bengaluru this week after leaving audiences in Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata and Delhi in splits.
23 - 25 November
That Comedy Club: Koramangala, Bengaluru
In the biggest ever showcase of Australian cinema in India, 27 Australian films are being screened aa part of the 24th Kolkata International Film Festival (KIFF). As the focus country at the festival, Australian films are being presented in three broad categories - 100 Years of Australian Cinema; Contemporary Section and Retrospective of Phillip Noyce. Our High Commissioner also inaugurated a poster exhibition to celebrate 100 years of both the Australian cinema and the West Bengal Cinema. The festival concludes on 17 November.
Australia’s leading Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander dance company, Bangarra Dance Theatre, embark on a multi-city tour of India this month as part of Australia Fest. They will stage Australia’s Bangarra Dance Theatre delivered some spectacular performances across India as part of Australia Fest. They staged Spirit 2018 - a powerful collection of dance stories by Artistic Director Stephen Page, drawn from the company’s 29-year history. During their India tour, the performers also conducted workshops with the tribes of India in Mizoram, Bengal's Purulia district and Madhya Pradesh.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull released Australia’s India Economic Strategy in Brisbane. The strategy, led by former DFAT Secretary Peter Varghese, is an ambitious plan to grow the economic partnership between India and Australia out to 2035.
Capturing India’s economic transformation (video link or watch below)
Latest speeches by the High Commissioner
- High Commissioner's remarks at the United Service Institution of India (12/11/18)
- High Commissioner's remarks at the Fourth Water Innovation Summit 2018 convened by CII Triveni Water Institute (04/10/18)
- High Commissioner's remarks on the 'Future of the Australia-India Economic Relationship'(08/08/18)
- High Commissioner's Remarks at the launch of the Youth Waging Peace guide (25/05/18)
Latest Press Coverage
- Australia fest in India: World’s third-biggest international comedy event winning over audiences - Financial Express
- Unusual fare of aboriginal tales - Asian Age
- The best of Australia, on show at Kolkata film festival - The Hindu
- Unlike Mumbai, Kolkata still remains very authentic: Garth Davis - Times of India