Australian High Commission
New Delhi
India, Bhutan

Information for Australians in India

Information for Australians in India

• Australian Citizenship Certificates
•  Australian Passports
Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM)
• Elections and Voting while Overseas
• International Driving Permits
• Legal Representation: Local Lawyers
• Medication
• Renewal of Australian Drivers’ Licences
• Services Australia (Centrelink, Pensions, Social Security and Medicare)
• Taxation
• Travelling to India and Indian visas

Australian Citizenship Certificates

Australian citizenship certificates are issued by the Department of Home Affairs. To apply for Australian citizenship, or to replace a certificate that is damaged, destroyed or lost, please visit

Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM)

The High Commission does not issue Australian birth, death and marriage certificates. If you wish to obtain a copy of your Australian birth, marriage or death certificate you may apply through the relevant State or Territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Elections and Voting while Overseas

When you go overseas you must meet requirements to remain on the electoral roll, and in some cases, to avoid a fine.

Voting is mandatory for Australians. However, being overseas is a valid reason for not voting.

Up to date information on elections and eligibility, and copies of relevant forms (e.g. applications for postal votes, application to be registered as an overseas elector) are available from individual electoral commission websites. We are unable to advise you or comment on the eligibility of individual voters. Eligibility is a matter for the relevant electoral commission.

Electoral Commissions

See also: Australian Electoral Commission

International Driving Permits

If you do not hold an Indian driver's licence and wish to drive in India, you need an international driving permit (IDP), as well as your Australian licence. If you drive without the correct license, you could be prosecuted, fined and your vehicle could be impounded.

An IDP is a document sanctioned by the United Nations. It lets you drive or ride a motorbike when travelling overseas. An IDP:

  • works in more than 150 countries
  • is printed in nine languages, so that local authorities can read it
  • is valid for 12 months from the date they're issued
  • includes photo ID and key personal information about the driver.

Many rental companies won’t let you hire a vehicle without a valid IDP. Some insurance policies won’t cover you for an accident if you're driving a vehicle without an authorised licence.

We strongly recommend you get a valid IDP before leaving Australia. You can apply for an IDP online (Australian Automobile Association, AAA). Or, through your state or territory motoring club.

Learn more about International Driving Permits and how to get one (Australian Automobile Association, AAA).

Legal Representation: Local Lawyers

The Embassy is unable to provide legal advice. If you require legal advice or assistance, the High Commission can provide a list of local lawyers on request.


If you have queries about bringing particular types of medication into India, you should contact your nearest Indian mission to seek advice on customs and importation restrictions. Contact information for Indian overseas missions is available at:  

Renewal of Australian Drivers’ Licences

Renewal of Australian drivers' licences is handled by State Governments. The High Commission does not issue or renew drivers' licences and can only assist with the witnessing and certifying of documents in support of your application.

You will first need to obtain the relevant documentation for renewing your licence from the relevant state transport office as listed below.

Services Australia (Centrelink, Pensions, Social Security and Medicare)

Consular staff are unable to provide information on Centrelink, pensions, social security or Medicare. Please contact Service Australia directly if you wish to discuss their range of payments and services.

Tel: 001 800 611 4136 (international free call number) or +61 3 6222 3455 - Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time



Understanding your obligations and ensuring that you have appropriate taxation arrangements in place is your responsibility.  Consular staff cannot advise you on taxation matters and cannot provide ‘Tax Packs’.

All queries relating to Australian taxation, including how to lodge your tax return from India, should be directed to the Australian Taxation Office (, tel. +61 2 6216 1111).

Travelling to India

The Australian High Commission is not able to advise on Indian visa or immigration matters.

If you are in Australia and require information on entering India, please contact the High Commission of India in Canberra

We also encourage you to read Australian Government’s Travel Advice for India page.

Visas for India

India does not provide visa on arrival facility for Australian citizens. Australian citizens need to have a valid Indian visa/ Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) card to enter India. If you are in need any information on Indian visas, please contact Indian High Commission or nearest Indian diplomatic or consular mission in Australia. If you are in India and require further information on Indian visas, including questions regarding the visa extension process or your own visa circumstances, please contact the Foreigner’s Regional Registration Office (FRRO) or Bureau of Indian Immigration. For matters related to Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) card, please contact OCI Services

The Australian High Commission does not issue visa support letters.

You must apply for an extension of your stay directly to Indian Immigration authorities. In India you will need to make an appointment via the e-FRRO website. The length of time your extension will be granted is at the discretion of Indian authorities.