Australian warship HMAS Toowoomba's visit to Chennai
Australian warship HMAS Toowoomba was in Chennai as part of Australia's commitment to engage with Indo-Pacific nations and to promote regional maritime security and cooperation. Toowoomba participated in ‘Exercise La Perouse’ in the Bay of Bengal to enhance interoperability, build partner capacity and strengthen the professional relationships with regional nations. The Australian Navy and Indian Navy also faced off in a friendly game of volleyball while in Chennai.
Representatives from Football Federation Australia were in India recently to support the development of women’s football across India. Adelaide United Captain Emma Checker and Junior Matildas Head Coach Rae Dower conducted professional development workshops for female Indian coaches, led a series of football clinics for girls and boys’ teams and met with the Indian U-17 women’s national team, who will represent their country on home soil in the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in 2020.
Applications to sponsor a parent for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa will be open from 17 April 2019. Once a sponsorship application has been approved, a sponsored parent will be able to apply for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. Applications for the visa are intended to open from 1 July 2019. For more information including sponsor eligibility criteria, number of places available and costs, please visit the Home Affairs website.
- Link to Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit
- Link to the Australian Government’s response to An India Economic Strategy to 2035
- Link to Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Simon Birmingham’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit 2018
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull released Australia’s India Economic Strategy in Brisbane. The strategy, led by former DFAT Secretary Peter Varghese, is an ambitious plan to grow the economic partnership between India and Australia out to 2035.
Capturing India’s economic transformation (video link or watch below)
Latest speeches by the High Commissioner
- High Commissioner’s Address to the National Defence College on Australia-India relations and Indo-Pacific Security dynamics (02/05/19)
- Deputy High Commissioner Rod Hilton's Address to the India Distributed Energy Forum and Expo (31/01/19)
- High Commissioner's Address to the International Solar Alliance Pavilion and Forum (19/01/19)
- High Commissioner's remarks at Ananta Aspen Centre New Delhi on Australia – A Top Tier partner for India in the Indo-Pacific (30/11/18)
Latest Press Coverage
- A Natural Next Step (OpEd by High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu) - Hindu
- Breaking Old Moulds - Sunday Standard
- Diplomacy Show: Australia India Relationship - WION
- India is very important to us, says Harinder Sidhu - DNA