Australian Education Minister The Hon Dan Tehan MP will be on a three-day visit to India from 19 to 21 November to tap new business opportunities in the country's education sector and showcase Australia's education and research sector. Minister Tehan will meet with the Indian Minister for Human Resource Development Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, engage Indian education and research stakeholders, and attend local events in support of the Australian education and research sector. Link to the Media Release
High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu launched the Global Talent program in New Delhi as part of Australia’s Skilled Migration Program. This program provides opportunities for Australia and India to work together to facilitate business, transfer skills, promote innovation, and create job opportunities.
The Australian Government is pleased to announce that 1607 Australian university students will undertake study and work-based experiences in India as part of the 2020 New Colombo Plan Mobility Program. The New Colombo Plan is a signature initiative of the Australian Government, providing Australian students opportunities to gain the cross-cultural awareness and experiences that are vital to today’s globally connected workforce.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison outlined his vision for Australia’s place in the world at the 2019 Lowy Lecture. He also announced that he would be visiting India in January at the invitation of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Another step in cementing India as a top tier partner for Australia. Link to the Speech : https://www.pm.gov.au/media/speech-lowy-lecture-our-interest
Applications to sponsor a parent for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa are open. Once a sponsorship application has been approved, a sponsored parent will be able to apply for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. Applications for the visa are intended to open from 1 July 2019. For more information including sponsor eligibility criteria, number of places available and costs, please visit the Home Affairs website.
- Link to Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit
- Link to the Australian Government’s response to An India Economic Strategy to 2035
- Link to Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Simon Birmingham’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit 2018
Capturing India’s economic transformation (video link or watch below)
Latest speeches by the High Commissioner
- High Commissioner's remarks at the Bengaluru Tech Summit (18/11/2019)
- High Commissioner's remarks at Institute of South Asian Studies, Singapore (14/10/19)
- High Commissioner's remarks at the launch of the Asia Society Australia Centre (03/10/19)
- High Commissioner's remarks at the Workshop on The Future of Electoral Democracy in India and Australia (21/08/19)
Latest Press Coverage
- Australia & India: Partners in a future with innovation (OpEd by Australia's Chief Innovation Officer Sarah Pearson) - Deccan Chronicle
- Twenty-year-old made Australian High Commissioner to India for a day - Week
- Here's how Australian High Commissioner celebrated International Day of the Girl Child - ANI News