How can I help bushfire victims from India?
Thank you to all who have shown concern and interest in providing relief support to our fellow Australians affected by the devastating fires.
For those of you who wish to assist, here are some links where you can make donations - Australian Red Cross; The Salvation Army; NSW Rural Fire Service; Country Fire Association of Victoria; South Australia Country Fire Service and Wires (injured animals).
Australia’s national broadcaster, the ABC is a good source for up-to-date information on the status of the emergency and relief efforts - https://www.abc.net.au/news/
Australia’s High Commissioner to India, Her Excellency Ms Harinder Sidhu, invested Dr Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw as an Honorary Member within the Order of Australia (AM) in the General Division. Dr Mazumdar-Shaw - an Australian Global Alumni Ambassador - is also recognised for her sustained and significant contribution to industry academia collaboration between Australia and India. The ceremony was attended by representatives from Indian and Australian business, the diplomatic corps, and family, friends and peers of Dr Mazumdar-Shaw. Dr Mazumdar-Shaw is the fourth Indian citizen to be awarded Australia’s highest civilian honour. This follows the conferment of Superstar batsman Sachin Tendulkar in 2012, Former Attorney General of India, Soli Jehangir Sorabjee in 2006 and Mother Teresa of Kolkata (Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu) in 1982. Link to the Media Release
Australia's Minister for Foreign Affairs, Minister for Women Senator the Hon Marise Payne's concludes her visit to India
Senator the Hon Marise Payne met with key leaders in the Indian Government and took part in the Raisina Dialogue, a major regional strategic affairs conference in New Delhi. Link to the Media Release
Australian artist David Hooke creates a mural in Varanasi to spread awareness in India about the global crisis on litter and pollution
Australian artist David Hooke, well-known for designing socially & environmentally engaged works, was in India to create a mural as part of the Varanasi Art Project. David’s large-scale mural in Varanasi was designed to spread awareness about the global crisis of litter and pollution.
- Link to Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit
- Link to the Australian Government’s response to An India Economic Strategy to 2035
- Link to Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Simon Birmingham’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit 2018
Capturing India’s economic transformation (video link or watch below)
Latest speeches by the High Commissioner
- Deputy High Commissioner Rod Hilton's Speech at the Chanakya Chakra forum on Foreign and security policies (04/02/2019)
- High Commissioner's remarks at the Bengaluru Tech Summit (18/11/2019)
- High Commissioner's remarks at Institute of South Asian Studies, Singapore (14/10/19)
Latest Press Coverage
- Vital that nations like India, Vietnam, Indonesia have greater stake in Indo-Pacific: Aus Deputy HC - Business Standard
- Australia keen to strengthen ties with India in hi-tech area - Outlook
- Australia & India: Partners in a future with innovation (OpEd by Australia's Chief Innovation Officer Sarah Pearson) - Deccan Chronicle