Acting Girls Takeover Ambassador Anjali from Lucknow took over from High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu for a day to mark the International Day of the Girl on 11 October. She began her day engaging with eminent people on discussions around gender equality at the Residence. She also addressed an all staff meeting and hosted a friendly soccer match at the High Commission with our Direct Aid Partner CEQUIN (Centre for Equity and Inclusion).
Prime Minister Scott Morrison outlined his vision for Australia’s place in the world at the 2019 Lowy Lecture. He also announced that he would be visiting India in January at the invitation of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Another step in cementing India as a top tier partner for Australia. Link to the Speech : https://www.pm.gov.au/media/speech-lowy-lecture-our-interest
Senator the Hon Marise Payne, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Minister for Women has announced 11 recipients of this year’s Australia India Council (AIC) award grants. These projects will help in deepening our engagement & relationship with India and also promote a better understanding between our two countries.
Link to the Media Release: https://foreignminister.gov.au/releases/Pages/2019/mp_mr_190918.aspx
RCEP & the opportunities for India (OpEd by Australia’s High Commissioner to India, H.E. Harinder Sidhu)
Applications to sponsor a parent for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa are open. Once a sponsorship application has been approved, a sponsored parent will be able to apply for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. Applications for the visa are intended to open from 1 July 2019. For more information including sponsor eligibility criteria, number of places available and costs, please visit the Home Affairs website.
- Link to Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit
- Link to the Australian Government’s response to An India Economic Strategy to 2035
- Link to Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Simon Birmingham’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit 2018
Capturing India’s economic transformation (video link or watch below)
Latest speeches by the High Commissioner
- High Commissioner's remarks at the launch of the Asia Society Australia Centre (03/10/19)
- High Commissioner's remarks at the Workshop on The Future of Electoral Democracy in India and Australia (21/08/19)
- High Commissioner’s speech to the Indian Association of Foreign Correspondents (11/06/19)
Latest Press Coverage
- Australia & India: Partners in a future with innovation (OpEd by Australia's Chief Innovation Officer Sarah Pearson) - Deccan Chronicle
- Twenty-year-old made Australian High Commissioner to India for a day - Week
- Here's how Australian High Commissioner celebrated International Day of the Girl Child - ANI News