High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu hosted the launch of University of Melbourne’s five year India strategy –‘Engaging with India 2020-2024 – highlighting collaboration in health, water, law, cultural arts and postgraduate teaching and learning’. The strategy aims to address key global challenges and deliver mutual benefits for both countries. Education is a key component of Australia’s India Economic Strategy 2035.
Australian Minister of Defence Senator the Hon Linda Reynolds CSC delivered a keynote speech at the WA Indo-Pacific Defence Conference highlighting Australia’s vision for the Indo Pacific to remain free, open & inclusive. Addressing the conference she said, "To do this we must strengthen our partnerships, increase our presence, build collaboration & invest in defence capability." Read More...
The e-Doctor Clinic - a pioneering initiative by Smile Foundation & Karma Healthcare - was funded under the Australian Government's Business Partnerships Platform - India window. The project was recently launched by our Economic Counsellor Timothy Kendall and aims to bring quality healthcare to under-served communities in Rajasthan through digital technology. BPP is a flagship initiative of the Australian Government that supports partnerships with businesses to deliver sustainable economic growth and poverty reduction, while also ensuring commercial returns for business.
AustralianSuper, Australia’s largest superannuation fund has announced that it will invest up to USD 1 billion in the National Invesment and Infrastructure Fund. Another step towards building stronger economic links with under the India Economic Strategy.
Applications to sponsor a parent for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa are open. Once a sponsorship application has been approved, a sponsored parent will be able to apply for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. Applications for the visa are intended to open from 1 July 2019. For more information including sponsor eligibility criteria, number of places available and costs, please visit the Home Affairs website.
- Link to Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit
- Link to the Australian Government’s response to An India Economic Strategy to 2035
- Link to Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Simon Birmingham’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit 2018
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull released Australia’s India Economic Strategy in Brisbane. The strategy, led by former DFAT Secretary Peter Varghese, is an ambitious plan to grow the economic partnership between India and Australia out to 2035.
Capturing India’s economic transformation (video link or watch below)
Latest speeches by the High Commissioner
- High Commissioner's remarks at the Workshop on The Future of Electoral Democracy in India and Australia (21/08/19)
- High Commissioner’s speech to the Indian Association of Foreign Correspondents (11/06/19)
- High Commissioner’s Address to the National Defence College on Australia-India relations and Indo-Pacific Security dynamics (02/05/19)
Latest Press Coverage
- Trade between India and Australia is growing year by year: Australian Envoy - ANI News
- Union minister TC Gehlot meets Australian delegation ; MoU signed for disability sector - DD News
- India must convince industry of RCEP’s benefits: Australia - Hindu