In another positive development in the Australia-India agriculture and animal husbandry sector, Australia and India recently finalised a new veterinary health protocol for the export of Australian breeder sheep to India. Australian sheep will be part of a sheep breeding program for wool development, an initiative under India’s National Livestock Mission. It is expected that the first sheep will arrive in India in September-October 2019 for settling at the Uttarakhand State Wool Development Board.
The Australian NGO Cooperation Program (ANCP) supports 23 diverse projects in India, which contribute towards key development outcomes. The program also strengthens delivery of public services in the areas of economic empowerment, inclusive development for person with disabilities and women, education and health. Our teams recently visited a few project sites in TamilNadu, WestBengal and UttarPradesh. ANCP Partners also met in Chennai for an Annual Partners Meet to exchange project knowledge and learning. Here are a few snapshots.
Five Indian officials from the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare travelled to Australia in June 2019 to participate in specialised training that could help boost India’s agricultural exports. The training focused on the use of biosecurity treatments, particularly on in-transit cold treatment for the export of horticultural products, including table grapes.
Applications to sponsor a parent for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa are open. Once a sponsorship application has been approved, a sponsored parent will be able to apply for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. Applications for the visa are intended to open from 1 July 2019. For more information including sponsor eligibility criteria, number of places available and costs, please visit the Home Affairs website.
- Link to Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit
- Link to the Australian Government’s response to An India Economic Strategy to 2035
- Link to Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Simon Birmingham’s address to the Australian Financial Review India Business Summit 2018
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull released Australia’s India Economic Strategy in Brisbane. The strategy, led by former DFAT Secretary Peter Varghese, is an ambitious plan to grow the economic partnership between India and Australia out to 2035.
Capturing India’s economic transformation (video link or watch below)
Latest speeches by the High Commissioner
- High Commissioner’s speech to the Indian Association of Foreign Correspondents (11/06/19)
- High Commissioner’s Address to the National Defence College on Australia-India relations and Indo-Pacific Security dynamics (02/05/19)
- Deputy High Commissioner Rod Hilton's Address to the India Distributed Energy Forum and Expo (31/01/19)
Latest Press Coverage
- RCEP trade pact in India’s interest as it gives access to Chinese market, Australia says - The Print
- Aus-India finalise new veterinary protocol for export of Australian breeder sheep - Times of India
- India finalises protocol for importing Australian breeder sheep - ANI
- Australia urges India to play a greater role in shaping regional trade order - Mint