Australia’s Deakin University have tied up with the Indian Institute of Technology - Madras to launch India’s first bilateral centre of excellence in metallurgy and manufacturing materials. The centre was recently inaugurated by Honourable Philip Dalidakis MP, Minister for Trade and Innovation, Victoria. The new Centre will build on the 10-year relationship between the two institutions and will offer PhD programs and drive research in light, strong and high temperature materials.
For the past six years, a select group of Australian publishing professionals have been visiting India every year with the aim of raising the level of literary exchanges between the two countries. Wendy Were, current director of the programme, in an interview with Scroll spoke about the Australian book market, and where India fits in.
Australian Water Partnership - Workshop on River Basin Planning
High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu opened a workshop on river basin planning, convened by the Australian Water Partnership last week. The workshop was attended by senior officials from the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, state water agencies and the World Bank, to discuss opportunities to work together on the Krishna, Godavari and Mahanadi basins. Read full text of her opening remarks here.
“It is reassuring and inspiring to see so many countries uniting under the ISA to create a better world. The ISA has been described as India’s gift to the world for combating climate change,” said Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove at the International Solar Alliance Founding Conference. Click here to read the full speech.
Launch of ANZAC Centenary Print Portfolio Exhibition at the National Gallery of Modern Art in Delhi
Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove inaugurated the ANZAC Centenary Print Portfolio exhibition at the National Gallery of Modern Art in Delhi during his visit to India. The portfolio, commissioned by the Australian War Memorial, brings together work of 10 contemporary artists from Australia and New Zealand and their diverse responses on what it means to remember a conflict that took place a century ago. The exhibition is part of the permanent collection at the gallery and is open to public viewing.
Applications are now open for the Australian Government’s Business Partnerships Platform (BPP) India Window 2018, inviting businesses to develop initiatives that contribute to India’s economic growth agenda while addressing development challenges. Through this platform, the Australian Government will co-invest between AUD250,000 to AUD500,000 on projects which advance both Australia’s development objectives, and the commercial and social impact objectives of the business partner. Applications for the BPP India Window 2018 will be accepted until Thursday 12 April 2018. Applicants are required to demonstrate how their proposal will have a positive impact on gender equality and women's empowerment. Visit dfat.gov.au/bpp for more information.
High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu hosted the Indian premiere of 'Raising The Bar' in Delhi. Raising The Bar is an inspiring documentary that traces the journey of three Indian and three Australian children with Down Syndrome who meet at a conference in Chennai. Shot in India and Australia, the film is directed by Onir and produced by Mitu B. Lange of Mind Blowing Films and Cate Sayers of e.motion21.
Latest speeches by the High Commissioner
- High Commissioner's remarks at the River Basin Planning Workshop convened by the Australian Water Partnership (16/03/18)
- His Excellency General the Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC (Retd) Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia Address to the International Solar Alliance Founding Summit (11/03/18)
- High Commissioner's remarks at the South Asia Power Summit (14/12/17)
- High Commissioner's remarks at IFC Climate Business Forum (30/11/17)
- High Commissioner's Keynote Address on the Australia-Bhutan Education Partnership (21/11/17)
Latest Press Coverage
- 'I would love to see a chai festival happening in NCR' - Times of India
- Australian Governor General announces early childcare project - Tribune
- Australian embassy in Delhi hosts screening of film on Down syndrome - Times of India
- The chai connection - Tribune
- Chai chronicles on Chennai roads - New Indian Express
- An investment in the future - High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu's Op-Ed in The Indian Express
- India and Australia have a lot to offer each other - High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu's interview in the Week
- High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu talks about the strength of Australia-India relationship, and the importance of raising awareness about cervical cancer in an interview with Rajasthan Patrika