Reinforcing our commitment towards providing quality early childhood education, we support a pre-school centre in Tughlakabad village with NGO Shanti Sahyog through our Direct Aid Program.
Our Political Counsellor, Ms Jenny Grant-Curnow, recently visited the centre, and was pleased to see the enthusiasm of the children. She also met with the school management and had an insightful discussion about the prospects and challenges of pre-school education in India.
One of the many important New Delhi buildings designed by architect Joseph Stein is the residence of the Australian High Commissioner.
To celebrate the work of the renowned architect, High Commissioner Harinder Sidhu hosted a panel discussion at the residence.
Among the panellists were some of Joseph Stein’s closest associates—architects Ashok B. Lall, JK Jain, and Meena Mani. Guests included Professor David Lowe, Chair in Contemporary History, School of Humanities and Social Sciences at Deakin University.
Australian Minister for Trade, Investment and Tourism, the Hon Steve Ciobo MP, visited the New Fruit Market, Azadpur to inspect the largest fruit wholesale market in Asia.
Australia currently exports counter season fresh fruit to India including citrus, apples, pears, stone fruits, table grapes, and cherries. Mr Ciobo is keen to see this trade grow and expand. Australia is also importing fruit from India and has recently increased the number of facilities accredited to export mangoes to Australia. In addition Australia has world-class technologies and services for the production, handling, storage, and marketing of fresh produce that has potential application in India to increase the efficiency of India’s food value chains and reduce losses.
"India is emerging as one of Australia’s most important partners, in strategic terms but also in trade and investment, research and innovation.
Australia is enthusiastic about India’s current trajectory. In particular, I welcome Prime Minister Modi’s priority on improving the business environment. Growth and investment will be critical to meeting the demands of India’s growing middle class — led by an increasingly skilled, educated and tech savvy youth. Australia stands ready to be a key partner of choice throughout this journey....."
Latest speeches by the High Commissioner
- High Commissioner's Address to the Perth USAsia Centre (21/09/17)
- High Commissioner's Address at the Rotary Club of Delhi Garden City (08/09/17)
- High Commissioner's Address at the third Water Innovation Summit 2017 (04/09/17)
Latest Press Coverage
- Australia is not just an economic partner to India, but also a strategic partner- Trade Minister Steven Ciobo's op-ed in The Economic Times
- Influential men need to step up beside women to help promote gender equality - Elizabeth Broderick's op-ed in The Economic Times
- Australia and India: partners in regional security and propserity - FM Julie Bishop's op-ed in The Hindu
- Foreign Minister Hon Julie Bishop MP in conversation with Shekhar Gupta on NDTV's Walk the Talk