Office Circular No 11/18
Vacancy: Social Secretary
The Australian High Commission, New Delhi, is seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates for the position of Social Secretary.
Applicants are advised to read the Position Description prior to addressing the selection criteria. Applicants must address the selection criteria. Applications that do not specifically address the selection criteria will not be considered. Further information on selection criteria is available on our website http://www.india.highcommission.gov.au.
Subject to the successful completion of up to a six month probationary period, satisfactory medical check and background verification, the successful applicant will be offered a two-year contract of employment, inclusive of the probation period. The contract may be extended subject to agreement between the employer and employee.
The starting salary will be 45, 900 per month. AHC staff work a 5-day week. Benefits include annual leave, limited medical reimbursements, Diwali bonus, provident fund provisions and gratuity provisions when service length is sufficient.
The Australian High Commission (AHC) is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity - a core element of AHC policy and programs. Clear objectives, mutual respect, good communication and team work are characteristics of workplace diversity in action.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must submit to the HR Manager by Tuesday, 29 May 2018 the following documents in Microsoft Word format with subject header ‘Application for Social Secretary’ to AHCJOBS.NDLI@dfat.gov.au
(1) A typed one page pitch of no more than 740 words, telling us how your skills, experience and qualifications makes you the best candidate for this opportunity. Make sure you read the position description, address the selection criteria and highlight some specific examples or achievements that will demonstrate your ability to perform in the role.
(2) A curriculum vitae detailing your contact details, work experience, academic qualifications and the names and contact details of two professional referees.
Applications not meeting these criteria will not be considered. No late applications will be accepted and only short listed candidates will be contacted.
|Agency||Foreign Affairs and Trade|
|Reports to (title)||HOM Executive Assistant|
About the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to drive coordination of Australia’s pursuit of global, regional and bilateral interests.
About the Position
This position is responsible for arranging meeting, social and official functions of the HOM (Head of Mission). Social Secretary is also expected to provide high-level executive support to the HOM when required.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain the High Commissioner’s (HOM) daily and forward program, including domestic and international travel. Organise meetings with government, non-government and private sector organisations as directed. Respond to requests to meet or invitations for HOM attendance at functions.
- Cultivate and maintain good working relationships and networks of contacts in the government, non-government and private sectors. Maintain an up-to-date database of guest’s lists and contacts.
- Organise logistics and coordinate HOM’s social functions, liaising with staff, external clients and vendors. Track, account for and advise on financial expenditure.
- Liaise with HOM EA and residence staff on preparations for events. Prepare menus, seating plans, place cards and guest list for all representational activities held by HOM. As required, attend and assist at representational activities held by HOM. Prepare and maintain records of HOM’s representational activities and events.
(a) Education: Completion of a graduate level is desired.
(b) Experience: Two – Three years of progressively responsible experience in office management
(c) Language: have fluent English language skills, proficiency in Hindi is highly desirable and proficiency in other Indian community languages is also desirable
(d) Knowledge: Must have sound Information Technology skills and the capacity to quickly become proficient in High Commission and programs and policies
(e) Expected to work independently with no or limited supervision and have high levels of judgement and initiative, in addition to an ability to provide quality advice to senior managers
(f) Computer Skills: Proficient in computer software applications including Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook.
- Extensive experience in an Executive Support role, with relevant qualifications and/or highly developed administrative and support skills.
- High Level organizational, liaison and interpersonal skills, including the ability to multitask, while working under pressure, to meet objectives in a busy environment.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise effectively with government organisations, foreign missions and private sector organisations.
- Sound judgment, intelligence and common sense.
- Knowledge of Indian politics and society and knowledge of protocol issues such as titles, hierarchy, etiquette and culture in an Australian/Indian context.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings for official functions at HOM’s Residence.